Exercising Fasted: Good or Bad?

Last week, I had to experience my workout on an empty stomach. I’ve never tried it because my schedule was 4:00-6:30 p.m. But my schedule has recently become a little too busy with my social project, classes, and tasks. That day, I had only two choices. Don’t go to the gym or go early in the morning. The answer was clear to me, and I was there before 7 o’clock in the morning.

My mom was heading to work when she suddenly stopped me and asked: “Where are you going? You don’t have to give classes today is Friday”. I told her the plan and disappointed said to me: “But you haven’t eaten yet. Eat something!”.  I just answer: “I’ll be fine”.
Back at home, I asked myself: “Is it really bad?”. Then, I took some time to investigate if it’s safe to lift weights on an empty stomach. 



Is it safe or dangerous?

According to an article in Strenghtlog, it is safe, if you're in good health, you can engage in various activities without eating first. This includes physical activity, intense workouts at the gym, or any form of exercise. It wouldn't make any sense from an evolutionary perspective if we had to eat before gathering food or hunting.

However, if you have a medical condition or take medications that affect your blood sugar, it's important to consult with your doctor beforehand. People with type 1 diabetes can consider fasting before strength training, but it may lead to different blood glucose responses compared to exercising after a meal. Because everyone's body reacts differently, seeking medical advice is the safest option.

There is no evidence that confirms that working out on an empty stomach is harmful. You may not find it enjoyable, but it is not detrimental to your health. In fact, some people might even like it. Also, exercising in a fasted state has been linked to potential benefits such as improved insulin sensitivity.

Personal Experience

It was weird at the beginning, but after warming up well, it feels the same. I give it an eight out of ten because the place was empty, and gym rats (people who stays a long time in the gym during the day) like me, love that aspect. Machines, dumbbells, barbells, and benches free, it was heaven to me.



What and When to Eat Before Lifting Weights?

If you would rather eat before working out, you might wait for 2-3 hours. Since u have the time, a completely balanced meal must be appropriate. If you have only 1 hour, the best option might be a fruit-protein smoothie/shake. If you have less than an hour,  a piece of fruit can get you going without making you feel uncomfortable. It is up to you. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is Hypertrophy?

What is Strenght ?